Pages

Monday 28 March 2016

Planting my Maincrop Potatoes

 It was quite a chilly morning and the wind whistling through the wire fence above my plot made it sound even more bleak than it really was. However, it didn't rain as I had expected so, I was able to get the last of my potatoes planted - my maincrops.
get-attachment.aspx
mi17March12-040
I don't know why really but, getting the potatoes into the ground always seems to hang over me. Really there is plenty of time until May to plant them.

This year my maincrops are Pink Fir Apple and Sarpo Axona. My preference is for floury potatoes which the Sarpo Axona are - wonderful potatoes, blight resistant and very flavoursome. If you haven't grown any of the Sarpo range do give them a try.
Of course the Pink Fir Apples are a waxy salad-type potato but, they have a distinctive flavour which is worth growing for and some great recipes for using them.
The ground is very wet after a few days of heavy rain although we really did need the rain. My ground dries out very quickly and sets into rock hard lumps so the rain was welcome. I did manage to get a piece dug ready for my spring sowing broad beans [Imperial Green Longpod] which are in pots in my poly-tunnel. I will plant them out in a week or so.
My blue-tits continue to work on their nest in my nesting box. One of them stays there each night. I don't know if this makes it any more likely to choose this nest as the one they will lay in but I continue to be hopeful. At least I know they have not yet stated to lay eggs.




More later.


No comments:

Post a Comment