Pages

Monday 21 March 2016

Planting Early Potatoes



Have a look at my Website  http://feastingfromallotments.com/

It has been a beautiful morning, mild and sunny although, as we have had no rain for two weeks the ground is becoming a little dry. Well! We just have to complain about something - probably next week I will be complaining that it is raining all the time.
I usually start planting my early potatoes from 17th March [ St Patrick's day] but, as I was away this year I am a little late. Many of my allotment neighbours use Good Friday as their planting guide time but, as Easter and Good Friday can be any time from March until may I don't feel personally that this is a good guide.
My first earlies this year are Accent and Red Duke of York, both of which I have grown before.
I have had them chitting since the end of January in a cool bright room.

027
The top ones are my Accent potatoes with good sturdy chits. However the bottom picture shows the Red Duke of York where the chits are just a little long. It doesn'y matter too much as long as they are not 'stringy' . they have been planted anyway.

028
I think I may have mentioned before that I have been trying to grow Chilli - Naga Jolokia. At over a million Scoville units [ the measurement of heat in Capsicums] it is the hottest chilli known [ along with its cousin the Ghost Chilli - Bhut Jolokia which I am trying to grow this year - so far none of the seeds has germinated but, I won't give up yet. To give a comparison Scotch Bonnet and Bird's Eye Chillies which are considered quite hot have 100,000 - 350,000 Schoville Units
Last year only 2 of the Nage Jolokia seeds germinated. One of the little plants doed and the other I put in a pot and brought home to overwinter. It is now quite a sturdy plant and has several flowers opening. I am pollinating with the help of a soft paint brush [of the artist variety] as there are no little flies to do the job in the house. One of the chillies has set and is growing on quite well.
030

029

I'm not sure yet what I will do with it as I certainly don't intend to eat it.
A couple of years ago, my children bought me a wonderful Christmas present of a bird box with a camera. The first spring, by the time I got it set up and working I was too late to attract any birds. Last spring, a pair of blue-tits made a nest in it but then abandoned it. I failed to get any photos. However, this year again I have a pair of blue-tits starting to make their nest - possibly the same pair. There is no guarantee that they will stay to raise their brood so, I am no jumping up and down with excitement but, this time I have got some photos.
I will report back on what happen next.
vlcsnap-2016-03-21-12h54m04s509
vlcsnap-2016-03-21-12h53m50s311

Good Planting












No comments:

Post a Comment