Pages

Monday 28 May 2012

My allotment - May - successes and problems


End of May and the ground is rock solid

Well the only part of my allotment which is workable is that which I dug over during last late summer and autumn. Of course, the advice is always to dig in autumn to allow the winter frosts to break up the soil. This has not been so obvious every year. In some years spring digging is fine. But, really I just don’t have the energy to do that amount of digging on the days when digging is a suitable activity during the autumn months. On my heavy clay ground, I have to catch it between heavy rain which turns the ground to mud, and long dry spells which ‘bake’ the ground.
Of course, as I’ve said before, although the plot I work can be difficult, it is also very fertile and very suitable for brassicas, which are my favourite vegetables.
Talking of brassicas, I see today that my brassica bed – well fertilised, well protected [I have good net over the whole plot of approx. 5metres by 10metres] I can easily get into this ‘cage’ to weed and tend my baby plants. On checking today, I see that my plants have been inundated with Flea Beetle. These tiny, shiny, black beetles just love brassicas. They are called ‘Flea beetles’ because they jump out of our way as soon as they see us coming and are about the same size as fleas [cat fleas, dog fleas – you name it] but, they are not fleas. Usually, if the infestation is not too great, the plants will outgrow the attack but, on allotments, where they are endemic, they can cause serious damage. Today, I have sprayed with SB Plant Invigorator, my favourite plant treatment. |I have expressed my concerns about this substance before and have been reassured that the active ingredient is Urea – I really don’t know how this works as an insecticide – perhaps it just strengthens the plants and enables them to fight off the pests and diseases by themselves – whatever, the effect seems to be compelling].
Continuing on the brassica theme, while I was treating my plants for flea beetle, I see that many of my All Year Round cauliflowers have started to ‘heart up’ – tiny, button sized heads which are totally useless. Of course, during the last few weeks, while the ground has dried out and split open from drought, these plants should have been regularly watered. As I manage my large allotment on my own, watering brassicas [like potatoes] did not even feature on my watering schedule. It is just one of those losses I have to be prepared to take.
So far, this blog sounds like a whinge, that is not intended. What I want to put across is that, in each year, there are difficulties and successes. Whatever the weather, something is succeeding and growing on, providing a crop which we can enjoy. This may not have been the crop we have dreamed of but, something else has been a huge success.
My daughter told me [and she is in London with somewhat more promising conditions than my south west plot], that she had just picked her first broad beans from her plot. So, I decided to have a closer look at my own bean plot and, yes, I have managed to harvest enough beans for dinner but, they are still a little on the small side. My daughter is using a great recipe for Hummous made from broad beans from ‘River Cottage Veg everyday’ by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. Great book!
I have been finding homes for my vast quantities of squashes and pumpkins. Of course, I feel a bit possessive and clingy about my squash and pumpkin plants. I am giving many plants away but, I still find it difficult to part with them. I think I have now planted out at least 15 plants and am still looking for homes for a few more different varieties. I do have areas in my ‘herb/flower’ section which is not well used. Of course I will have to fight off the mint invasion but, that is another issue.
Yet again, the dreadful red-ant invasion has struck in my poly tunnel and in several places in my potato ridges. I am losing mature plants in my polytunnel and mature plants outdoors in my potato ridges. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment