Pages

Tuesday 1 May 2012

May Day Magic


First of May – Late Spring and the main planting Month

Well, they do say you should be careful what you wish for – you might get it! And, we were wishing very hard for some rain. It has now officially been confirmed that April 2012 was the wettest April since records began, well over 100 years. For many people around the country this is a tragedy, with lost livestock, destroyed homes and property and even one man drowned in the floods.
For growers, all is definitely not lost. The ground is becoming quite wet now but not yet, damagingly so. For quite some time, the rain just ran off the drought hardened earth but, it has now penetrated quite well, although yesterday, when I dug a couple of shallow ridges to plant my too well sprouted beans – Purple Teepee [dwarf purple skinned French beans] and Yinyang or Orca beans [dwarf growing variety good for drying for winter] – the ground was still not too wet. My real fear is that it is a bit too cold though, not as cold as it was last Saturday when we had our Spring Fair. Still, these beans will just have to grow or not, as they will. There were too many of them for me to pot up in my polytunnnel and I have several other varieties still waiting to be planted out.
This year I have sown beetroot [Boltardy] in pots in my polytunnel. I’m not really sure why, as I’ve never had any problems with their germination when sown straight into the ground, although it does mean I now don’t have to thin the rows. That said, each beetroot seed actually has 2 or 3 seeds in it so the young plants still have to be separated for growing on. Either way, there is a little work involved. I’m just trying this method as an experiment. It certainly saves on seed. From half a packet I have now planted out three by five metre rows where before, I would have used two packets of seed for this area. In spite of the cold weather, they seem to have settled in quite well.
It did stop raining for a few hours yesterday so, I was able to go to my plot to feed the birds and water my tunnel – odd to be carrying water in weather like this but, of course, it doesn’t rain indoors!
I lifted my first early potatoes yesterday – Vales Emerald, from my polytunnel. In my last Blog I was complaining about red ants having destroyed several of my potato plants. I have now lost a few more and on digging around their roots I have discovered another red ant nest. I’m afraid I also had to dig it out and spray again with Py. It has been quite disappointing for my crops and has somewhat reduced my sympathy for that particular branch of wildlife.
However, the potatoes I did lift were delicious and it has cleared an area in my tunnel to start planting out tomato and chillis which are now becoming slightly pot-bound.
As I am writing I hear the forecast is promising dry weather for tomorrow so, hopefully, I will be able to spend a few hours on my plot clearing an area for climbing beans, setting up the canes and, with luck, planting some out. If I can break the ground down enough I might even consider sowing some carrot and spring onions.
Fruit bushes and canes look fresh and healthy and are satisfyingly covered in blossom. I still haven’t used all the gooseberries I froze last summer. I might use them to make a batch of gooseberry and mint jelly – the mint is particularly lush just now – and this jelly is perfect with any roast meats but especially with lamb.
Gooseberry and Mint Jelly
Gooseberries make a satisfyingly sharp jelly especially if used while slightly unripe
900 gms / 2lbs gooseberries 
600ml/1 pint water
Sugar ( see method) 
Large bunch of mint
½ litre [1 pint] washed, dried  and finely chopped mint leaves    
Method
1. Wash the gooseberries and remove leaves or pieces of twig  - it isn’t necessary to top and tail them.
2. Put in a pan with the water and the large bunch of mint (use a large pan, like a preserving pan if you have).
3. Bring to the boil then simmer gently until the fruit is soft, approx 10 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to crush the fruit occasionally as it cooks, a little more water may be added if necessary.
4. Strain the fruit through a jelly bag or muslin bag – leave overnight. Do not squeeze the bag or the jelly will be cloudy.
5. Measure the juice and add 450g/1 lb sugar to each 600ml/1 pint juice
6. Put the juice into a clean large saucepan or preserving pan, add the sugar and heat gently, stirring to ensure all the sugar has dissolved, then bring to a rolling boil and boil rapidly until setting point is reached.
7. Skim and put into pots. Allow it to cool slightly, then add the chopped mint and stir a little to encourage the mint to mix evenly through the jelly. [If you add the mint immediately it will stay on the surface of the jelly]. 
8. Cover and seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment