Pages

Sunday 1 April 2012

London - Greenwich, Greenwich Park, Greenwich Market, Etc


Visiting London – Greenwich Park, Greenwich Penninsula, Cutty Sark and all that!
I love Bristol. I love living in this city with its culture, warmth, vibrancy and community spirit – and of course, its beauty. But there is nothing to beat regular trips to London to experience several levels up of a few of those sensations. The warmth of community may be missing – it is such a vast, multi cultural city but, there is a buzz of excitement, innovation, technology, development which is not apparent anywhere else in the country – even in these days of recession. Of course, the 2012 Olympics have a strong influence on that.
My daughter has just bought a new flat over-looking the Thames from the Thames barrier to the O2. I went to London to, ostensibly, help her to move house. I’m not sure I was much use but, it was wonderful to be there as part of this experience and to voice enraptured reflections on the view from her pent-house patio. I have already booked my bedroom! Years ago, when I lived in London, I would never have dreamt of visiting the East End. My life had been built around areas like Hampstead, Pimlico, Holland Park, Maida Vale and the West End and at that time it was where life was ‘happening’. But, today, the exciting life of London has moved East. I have been introduced to new areas and experiences in London I have never visited before and I hope I will experience a few more in the coming months and years. The new London Gondola Lift across the Thames from close to the O2 Centre on Greenwich Peninsula to the Royal Docks close to the new 2012 Olympics main areas. This is still under construction but, a few days ago they have added the main cables and the gondolas should be added well in advance of the Olympics. It is planned for 1km of cable car line across the Thames to the site and is, I believe, the first cable car in the UK.
This morning, we decided, after a hearty breakfast, still in my daughter’s old flat, that we would catch a bus from the Millennium Village from Oval Square [don’t you just love that?] to Blackheath. This is an old and very expensive part of London just above Greenwich Park and overlooking the City of London, Canary Wharf, etc. Blackheath is in the Royal Borough of Greenwich which has a long history with royalty dating back to 1433. Henry VIII introduced deer there so that he could go hunting in the park and reportedly, some of them still remain in the park, although, today, I didn’t see any. Now, Greenwich Park is – and deservedly so, a World Heritage site.
As I had never before visited the east end of London, neither had I visited the Royal Observatory at Greenwich – famous for Greenwich Mean Time [GMT]. It was good to have visited it at last and, although interesting, ancient telescopes and chronometers are not really my thing. Though you can book personal time at their famous telescope, which could well be worth trying.
Greenwich Park will be used as part of the 2012 Olympic Games venue and part of the Park will be closed off for the events. If you are planning to visit this area, do Google for information on what is happening, transport and what areas will not be available without tickets. As I understand, of the 19 events which will be happening in this area there will be: Equestrian events and Paralympic equestrian events; jumping, dressage and eventing. Also Modern Pentathlon.
We wandered down through the park through Greenwich Market to the now reconstructed Cutty Sark. Although this site won’t be open again until late April 2012 it already looks exciting. I believe, the Cutty Sark had a lot of its superstructure removed prior to a major fire in 2007 which destroyed much of the remaining structure of this 18th century clipper ship. It seems that the old masts and original visible superstructure will be original. Although still cloaked in scaffolding, the original masts and rigging have now been replaced and, although difficult to photograph, especially from a mobile camera, with its new glassed in walk way, it looks amazing and well worth a visit in the future.
We didn’t spend too long with the Cutty Sark as my favourite method of London travelling was approaching fast and we had to, in fact, run for the queue – the London Clippers. I just love them! If you visit London you should really try this method of river transport. The Clippers go from the Royal Arsenal at Woolrich Pier, through Greenwich and up the Thames, under the Tower Bridge to the City of London. This has to be my favourite method of transport through London though, it doesn’t give any explanation of the historic sites and events around London – for that, do look at other river trips – these are an excellent introduction to this wonderful and historic city.
Back in Bristol, some neighbours are holding a Sunday night barbeque party – noisy and scenting the night with wood smoke. It reminds me of how happy I am to return to Bristol and my home. Although evocative of other times, I must go to bed in preparation for some much needed attention to my allotment in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment