Pages

Wednesday 18 April 2012

Easter Holiday Activities - Westonbirt


Easter Holiday Activities – Westonbirt, the National Arboretum and Malmesbury
Well, we have now had our much longed-for rain and Easter weekend was definitely not seaside kind of weather. I believe we are now back to more seasonal temperatures though, I think possibly those people who have had to deal with heavy snowfalls would disagree with that.
The ground on my allotment is now diggable again after the long hot dry spell and I must plant the rest of my maincrop potatoes in the coming week.
On Good Friday morning I picked my daughter and her partner up from the station in Bristol and we headed out onto the M4 with the intention of visiting Westonbirt. Although we have lived in the Westcountry for nearly a quarter of a century neither my daughter nor her partner had ever visited the Arboretum before. My fault, I’m sure. My younger daughter and I are fairly frequent visitors. That said, I still managed to miss the correct exit from the motorway [the Bath turnoff] and drove on to the next one. I then couldn’t understand why I didn’t recognise any of the little Wiltshire villages we drove through. However, my daughter, expressing her disgust at my lack of direction and organisation, whipped out her trusty Smartphone and directed me back in the direction of Westonbirt.
We drove slowly through the town of Malmesbury, partly because the streets are narrow and partly because we were fascinated by the place. Although I have heard of it, I had never visited the town before. Situated in Wiltshire at the South end of the Cotswolds and between the banks of two different rivers Avon it has been built around Malmesbury Abbey which was established in the 7th century A.D. Part of the Abbey is now in ruins but I gathered the main part of it is still in use. The town itself goes back to the 9th century and was awarded its charter by Alfred the Great. Although the town has around 400 listed buildings, I don’t think any of them go back that far – the Abbey excepted. However, enchanting though it was, the purpose of the day’s trip was to explore the Arboretum not Wiltshire towns. It will have to keep for another occasion.
For me to get to the Arboretum [ the quickest route!] is to leave the M4 at junction18, also signposted for Bath but heading north on the A46. After a few miles take a right hand fork onto the A433. Westonbirt itself is a few miles further on and is clearly signed. A few miles further on you would come to the small town of Tetbury, another of the quaint and ancient Cotswolds towns.
The Arboretum is situated in Gloucestershire and was established by the Holford family on land in the village of Weston Birt in the first half of the 19th century. It was taken over by the Forestry Commission in 1956. The Arboretum covers an area of approximately 600 acres [ 2.4km²] and has about 17 miles of safe walks through various areas. It is said to have one of the best tree collections in the world, collected from many countries with temperate climates around the globe.
Probably the most popular times to visit are the spring time when many trees are on flower – the exquisite magnolias and cherry trees and the gorgeous rhododendrons. But, the autumn provided colour of the different type when the leaves of the trees [mostly the huge range of acers] provide a startling display from rich crimsons, bright oranges, sienna and ochre, dazzling yellows and sombre browns.
There is always lots for young families to do– various activities are arranged to keep them entertained while they learn to love the environment, fresh air and freedom. Dogs are welcomed too and in some of the more remote walks many of the owners allow them off their leads to snuffle among fallen leaves and bracken for traces of wild animals and other interesting smells. I have been disappointed to see that some owners don’t bother to clear up the toileting activities of their pets, in spite of clear requests to do so.
In the main reception area the range of food available at the cafe is fresh and tasty if not exactly cordon blue but it is very welcome when you have spent several hours tramping around among trees. The toilet facilities are clean, plentiful and well looked after.
If you think it might be worth a visit do have a look on the Website for activities which are organised regularly throughout the year Popular events include the Live Music concerts programme, Treefest and the Enchanted Christmas illuminated trail.’
On this occasion, we didn’t walk too far as we had decided we would have a photographic competition among ourselves. And what wonderful photographic opportunities there are.

No comments:

Post a Comment