Pages

Tuesday 17 May 2011

How do we deal with the Drought? The positives and the negatives.

Continuing Drought
In the south west of England we did have a little rain in early May – and very useful it was too – for a short while. Although, at the moment it is quite cool, much cooler than in April, and we see daily dark threatening clouds, we have not had any more rain. (No! I lie! This morning we did have a short 30 second drizzle shower, it didn’t wet the ground nor me, really. But, at least everything seemed slightly fresher. No rain is forecast for the foreseeable future. The south east of England is having an even harder time as they have had no rain at all since the beginning of April. There has been rain in the UK. Lots of it, and all going to the north of England, Scotland and N Ireland. I’m sure they would love to share it with us. Already here, although it hasn’t yet happened, there are threats of hosepipe bans.
But, we deal with what comes because we can’t change it.
As always, whatever the weather brings us, it is good for some stuff and not so good for others (well, apart from the East wind perhaps!) as the old saying goes ‘when the wind is in the east, ‘tis good for neither man nor beast’.
Brassicas this year – so far – have been a disaster. I sowed my brassica seeds in my polytunnel  in March and early April, expecting to have them all planted out by now. But, the ground has been too hard to dig and most of the plants have now been composted as they had grown too tall and ‘soft’ to be of any value. A few I had planted out early are doing well or at least ‘holding their own’. However, I will just re-sow some varieties or do without.
Broad beans – autumn sown only are now being harvested and although they are sweet and have a delicious flavour, they are not particularly lush plants and are already being attacked by black fly. They won’t last until the runner beans are ready.
The positives, however, face me each time I go to my allotment – some onions are ready to eat and garlic could be harvested as ‘wet garlic’ wonderful roasted. ‘Wet garlic’  is the young bulbs which have not yet developed the hard skin around each clove. Slice them in two horizontally and put in with roast chicken or lamb 40 mins. or so before the end of cooking and serve as a vegetable. I have noticed that both my onions and garlic from last year have 'saved' until now. A few have rotted or dried out but at least 75% have been excellent. I believe that this may have been due to the lack of rain in May last year which has given these bulbs a higher proportion of dry matter and helped them to keep. Of course I also had to grow enough. One of my allotment neighbours has had similar positive results and frequestly proudly presents me with two perfect red onions. I haven’t the heart to tell him I still have lots of my own. Though actually, I no longer have lots, I only have a couple of kilos left and a handful of viable garlic bulbs.
My beans, now that I’ve managed to get them sown or planted out are looking healthy though, I do have to water them regularly. I have noticed that pigeons are widening their taste-bud experience. Although I put out food for the birds each time I am there, the pigeons have been eating my young carrot greens and are now starting on the young bean plants. I believe it will get to the point that every crop will have to be netted.
My herb garden is thriving. Many herbs don’t really like wet conditions and although my ground is much heavier than many of the herbs would choose they are looking good. Two years ago I sowed a packed of lavender seed. I do believe that every seed germinated as I potted up about 100 little plants – I have been giving them away to anyone who would take them. Some went to my daughter who lives in London and those in her garden are now large bushy, lush plants (her soils is light, sandy and free draining). The plants I put into my garden and allotment (heavy clay soil) are definitely growing but are really quite stunted by comparison.
Unless we are struck by some weather catastrophe, we should have bumper crops of soft fruit. Although I’m harvesting some strawberries already I’m sharing them with the blackbirds who have a habit of eating the sweet, red side from every ripening berry. But, they are also struggling this year and in a couple of weeks I won’t notice the few they take. Although I have netted some of my raspberries it is only because they share their space with currant bushes. I don’t think birds do a lot of damage to raspberries, unlike woodlice which do a lot. When it comes to gooseberries, blackcurrants and redcurrants the birds will not share with us. You will look at the bushes and think – I’ll harvest those in a couple of days, they will be ready. When you return you will be lucky to find a couple of fruit hidden behind a leaf that the birds have not seen.
Don’t forget to thin beetroot, carrots and parsnips now. It pains me that I always find the best ones in clumps while the little spindly ones are well spaced already. I have in the past successfully transplanted beetroot and carrot seedlings into the spaces in rows. Though the ground is so dry this year I’m not sure how successful it would be now. Be sure to dispose of carrot thinnings well away from the seed bed so that the smell doesn’t attract carrot fly, and water the beds well afterwards to reduce the smell. It is always recommended to thin carrots in stages, the second thinning when the young plants are big enough to eat. However, I prefer to thin just once, to spacings which will give enough room for the mature carrots to grow properly. I feel this reduces the opportunities for attracting carrot fly. Protecting with environmesh does form an effective though not impenetrable barrier to the flies and companion planting with highly aromatic plants such as marigolds (French or African), sage, rosemary, garlic can also be helpful. I find that the smell of marigolds makes me  feel ill so I can understand how it might keep some pests away.
And, as I am about to post this, I notice it is drizzling again - lightly. Yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment