Pages

Sunday 22 May 2011

Growing and propagating perennial herbs - 2

My second Blog on perennial herbs.
I will start with Bay - Laurus nobilis.
This makes a wonderfully attractive shrub for the garden though, I keep mine in a large pot as it can become quite a large tree for small gardens such as mine. Last year, I decided that, although it was in a pot, it was growing very vigorously and decided to move it to a corner where it wouldn't be in the way. I discovered that it had rooted through the bottom of the pot into the earth and it was really quite hard to move. Although I had to cut its main root it doesn't seem to have suffered too much. When I think of it I have a giant redwood tree - also in a pot which is also looking a bit too vigorous for a pot grown tree - perhaps I should move it too, before it's large enough to put a motorway through! 
Having fresh leaves whenever I want them, I wouldn't dream of using dried bay leaves. The leaves have quite a pungent aroma and flavour which is excellent in bouquet garni, in savoury casseroles or just put 1or 2 leaves into the dish. Remove them before serving, they are not particularly eatable. When I was growing up a well-known Italian cafe owner in my area, always made his own ice-cream. The flavour was outstanding and really hasn't been beaten by any ice-cream I've had since (though perhaps that is just my childhood memory). He once admitted that BAY was the secret ingredient in his ice-cream recipe. My favourite use for bay leaves is in a recipe I use for the Indian dish Dhansak - when I grind a few bay leaves along with coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, green cardamons, a few red chillies, fenugreek and black mustard seeds and some cinnamon bark. The aroma from this mixture is amazing.
A friend of mine has a large mature bay tree which produces berries. I did wonder if these berries could be used. On investigating I learned that it is important that they should not be mistaken for bayberries - the fruit of Myrica or Myrtle which are used to flavour drinks and have medicinal uses. There is little information on Bay Berries though, what there is would suggest that it is probably not a good idea to use them for culinary or medicinal purposes. They can be planted as seeds to produce another Bay tree though, so far I have had little success with this. Further reading suggests I should have scarified the seeds first. I have had some success with growing from soft-wood cuttings, when I had about 25% success.
Mint - Mentha
Mint is a hardy perennial and is easy to grow. Unless controlled, it can take over your plot. There are many varieties, though probably the most popular is Mentha Spicata or spearmint. I have grown a couple of varieties in an old Belfast sink in my garden (in an effort to keep it under control). However, I did notice that, after a couple of years it became very pot bound and was not thriving. I do replace it, taking a two or three root cuttings from each variety and replanting in fresh compost. I did take a couple of root cuttings to my allotment, thinking it would be happier there and would have plenty of room. Yes, this worked well. Both varieties grew well into strong healthy plants and quickly covered an area approximately 2 metres square. The bees loved it and every time I brushed past the herb the aroma was intoxicating. However, I did then wonder why every other plant in the area was sickly, especially my pear tree which failed to produce a crop or new growth. A friend pointed out that the mint was the probable culprit so, I had to dig most of it out and have been careful, ever since to keep in it its place. As summer progresses the mint becomes quite straggly and tough. Cut it back to the ground and it will quickly put up new fresh growth.
It is easy to propagate, just dig up a couple of root cuttings (you will find them easily all around your plant) and replant in a pot or a new part of the garden or plot.
It is a wonderful herb which makes delicious sauce for roast lamb, mint tea or chopped in salads. It is a gentle and effective aid for indigestion. I put finely chopped mint into crabapple or gooseberry jelly for serving with roast meats or cold meats.
As it dies back in winter I always pick loads of it while it is still at its best, strip the leaves from the stalks and put it through the food processor with a little sugar and vinegar, then I can store it in my freezer for use during the winter. It can also just be chopped or processed then frozen in small containers without additions. Frozen herbs do lose some of their pungency when frozen but  I just use more.
Origano - Marjoram _ I'm never quite sure of the difference. In my garden I have several large plots of Origanum which have spread themselves by seed from my original 1 green and 1 golden plants. They are very hardy and the heavy frost of the last two bitterly cold winters have made no impression on the huge mounds growing. They stop growing during the winter but, don't die back so I never make any effort to preserve it for winter use. I can still pick enough leaves to use in my cooking. However, cutting back when it has finished flowering will give you an fresh burst of new growth. You can propagate from seed, by taking cuttings or easiest - just divide the root. I haven't had to do this as it seems to propagate itself.
It is a wonderful herb in the kitchen, delicious and aromatic and I use it chopped with lemon thyme and tarragon in many savoury dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment