Pages

Monday 25 April 2011

Biennial herbs - grown for culinary use

Growing and using Biennial Herbs for culinary purposes
There is a difference between biennial and biannual.
*  Biennial refers to something which happens every two years, In the case of herbs, they will germinate from seed and produce leaves in the first year. In the second year they will produce flowers, go to seed, then die.
*  Biannual refers to something which happens twice each year. In the case of herbs or, in fact any plant, I can’t offhand, think of any examples.

I guess the most common biennial we grow is Parsley- the world’s most popular herb, I believe. It is a relation of celery. Parsley provides useful quantities of most of the B vitamins, also Vitamins C & K. It is a good source of Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc. It has been suggested that it can be used as a diuretic and for lowering high blood pressure. However, for any medicinal purposes, please use with care.
As I have mentioned in a previous Blog, there are different types of parsley, most of which will grow fairly easily in temperate climates on a range of soils, though it does prefer a fairly rich soil. The most common of these is Moss Curled – quite a sharp leaved, strongly flavoured parsley often, unfortunately just used for garnishing dishes, then discarded. What a shame for, as well as being a decorative bright green, it is a flavoursome, healthy plant that no kitchen should be without. Use in sauces, (I think parsley sauce is my favourite with vegetables, fish, any meat dish really – I love it!), soups, in salads.
Somewhat less common is Flat-leaved or Italian Parsley (I have even heard it referred to as French Parsley – though this might be a different type again – do let me know if you have more information on this). I have grown this very successfully in my back garden where, so far, I have failed to produce good crops of Moss-curled. It was brilliant and available all winter in huge quantities every time I stepped outside my back door. Some people think it has a stronger flavour than Moss-curled – it’s debateable.
Let’s not forget about turnip rooted or Hamburg Parsley. I’ve only tried to grow it once, with limited success. Its roots are a bit like parsnips, though I prefer parsnips which are also more reliable (and they’re not always so reliable!).
Parsley can be very tricky to germinate though, once germinated it is usually easy enough to grow on. It has been suggested that should propagated in pots in a propagator then planted out. This really wouldn’t do for me. I like to use it extravagantly so, I sow a whole row each year across my plot. Try soaking the seeds in warm water for 24hours before you sow. Although a biennial, grow it as an annual. In its first year, once it is established, it is at its best. It will overwinter in mild winters and will provide you with a reliable supply until the new season’s crop is ready. However, during the last two winters it has been so cold here that I’ve had no fresh parsley. A few of last year’s plants have now recovered enough to give me a small supply again but, I’m glad I had the foresight to freeze several tubs of it last year – and that, only because the previous year caused complete devastation to my crop.
To freeze, chop it finely (loads of it, I use my food processor for this) and pack it into tubs. It is not as flavoursome as fresh but, it can do the job and so much better than a little pot bought at the supermarket for several £’s which disappears in one sauce.
Chervil -It’s a shame that I won’t give my next biennial herb the same space I have given to parsley. I have only lately come to Chervil so, I really don’t know so much about it or it’s uses. Please do contact me if you have more useful information on this wonderful herb.
It is a relation of carrots and is reputed to be good for digestion, high blood pressure and it has been suggested – for curing hiccups! As before, for any medicinal uses, please use with care and only if you know what you are doing. It is a good source of many of the B vitamins, also Vitamins A and C. It provides useful amounts of Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Iron, Zinc, Selenium and Calcium.
Chervil has a delicate flavour easily lost in cooking so, if you do intend to add it to cooked dishes, only add at the last minute. In salad it is delicious, where it’s slightly aniseed flavour adds a touch of magic.
As its flavour is so easily lost, it doesn’t store well either frozen or dried so, enjoy it when it is available as a fresh herb.
Like parsley, it can be tricky to germinate. I sowed some two seasons ago but, not appreciating it excellence, I didn’t re-sow last year. However, I do have a plant which has obviously reseeded last year – it is presently running to flower but it is a fresh green exuberant plant all ready for enjoying, in spite of our present drought. Do give it a try.
Sow between May and August – so plenty of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment