Pages

Sunday 24 April 2011

Asparagus Beetle - captured


Lilac time and Roses

To step outside early on these enchanting, balmy, sunny mornings when the birds are still singing their little hearts out in defence of their territories is the essence of the joy of living. The almost overpowering scent of honeysuckle, lilac and wallflowers really must be enjoyed before daytime takes over and the fragrance fades until evening. Roses are already coming into flower, adding their heady perfume to the exotic mix. 
I do love May though, this year we have already got the best parts in April. I do wonder what oddities the rest of this year will throw up.
 
What could be more enticing than freshly dug new potatoes with Easter Sunday lunch? Mine are Accent,( from Dobies) planted in February in my polytunnel.


And to spoil that image, I promised , if I could, some pictures of the dreaded asparagus beetle. This is the common asparagus beetle – the only one I’ve seen on our plots but, now on our plants in droves. I’ve also managed to capture a few of their eggs. They are tiny –1mm long so hard to photograph and fortunately, so far, hard to find. There are no larvae yet – the eggs take about a week to hatch out but when they do I will add their portraits to this rogues’ gallery. I’m sure I will have no trouble finding a few. Do keep after them and destroy or they will destroy your plants.



Have a wonderful Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment