Pages

Thursday 20 January 2011

what wonderful weather - stored potatoes, robins and other stuff

Although it is really cold and frosty in the early mornings, it is just glorious by 11.00am. You could almost say it is warm, no gloves nor jacket necessary. Isn't it amazing for mid January and, expected to last for a few more days?
 I'm sure the birds are already mating and beginning to build their nests, the pairs of robins - at each end of my plots are there to greet me each day looking for the food I bring them. They run around under my feet in expectation and land on the food stations I have set up on top of my compost bins and picnic table, as soon as I put out their food. They are so close I could reach out and touch them though, of course, I know they would never let me. But, each day, it thrills me to watch them. But, I care about birds. When I arrived at my plot today, it was clear that a bird had been in trouble around my netting for my winter brassicas - lots of white feathers though, not a whole birds worth, and no sign of a bird carcasse. We have a resident black and white cat, foxes, rats and birds of prey. Who was the perpitrator? Pete our allotments deputy chair arrived while I was still there and was able to tell me that the trapped bird - a pigeon - had escaped, with his support. The black and white cat had not been interested - obviously well fed on something else. That said, I have several qualities of netting for my crops. I don't think birds are stupid and are well able to see the nets we put over our crops but, the fine cheaper netting catches their feet, making them 'sitting targets' for predators. This year I will replace all fine netting with more 'bird friendly' stuff.
I have almost reached the end of the sacks of potatoes I had stored and brought home. No problem, I thought. I still have a sack of potatoes in my allotment shed. That will see me through for another month ( I do love my potatoes). I was horrified to discover that they were soft and half rotten - the whole bag - obviously the shed had not protected them from the December very low temperatures... they were 'frosted'. A pity and a lesson learned. Next year I will take them home for storing before the winter low temperatures kick in.
Last summer's crops of onions were good and, with my friend Philip, we planted a lot, particularly red onions. I have been pleased and not a little surprised by how well they have stored - even in my cold, damp shed. The damp does not seem to have affected them and, once home, they have dried out successfully, Still a couple of months supplies to go, which might take me... almost to the new seasons onions.
I had a mini bonfire at my plot today. There is some discussion about whether we should burn our rubbish (always checking in bonfires in case wildlife has got in there - eg hedgehogs) or finding a corner to let it rot down. I'm afraid I have opted for the bonfire each winter. For me it gets rid of old rotting wood which would otherwise harbour slugs and woodlice - and it destroys diseases in my fruit crops - eg bigbud mite in blackcurrants. I know I haven't got rid of it, it's endemic on an allotment site where it already exists but, I must do my best. And, let's not get away from it, a good bonfire makes us feel good. There is always the extra potash to dig into the soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment