Pages

Tuesday 4 January 2011

The importance of planning

I remember someone saying to me, when I had had my Bristol plot for a year, to write an article for newcomers in our allotment newsletter, on getting started. The concept of 'bare earth gardening' was introduced to me. That many people, with little experience take over a plot and start to dig....
I know it's a chore, and I suppose it depends on why you take on an allotment but, this plot of land costs money for you and, on most sites, it's important to show you are prepared to use the plot effectively - there is a long waiting list for sites on most sites. This pressure is put onto plot holders everywhere now. It is easy to get carried away on dreams of all sorts of stuff you can't buy in the supermarkets but, first, decide what your family will eat most of that you might be able to grow ( mushrooms are not IT... if you like them, it's probably easier and cheaper to buy them from a supermarket).
If your family eats lots of potatoes ( as I do), they are arguably the crop which benefits most from being homegrown - as a ground clearer they are beaten only by pigs! Homegrown - they are unregognisable from the stuff you can buy in supermarkets. I love them. They need to be ordered or bought now, so that they can be 'chitted' ( sprouted ) before planting.
Although I like to grow onions, shallots and garlic, I have noticed little difference in the flavour in mine from those I buy in a supermarket but, a huge difference in price. Still time to order and sow in Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment