Pages

Wednesday 4 May 2016

May at Last



May at Last
What a cold and disappointing April we have had. Now, in early May the temperatures are creeping up although, I am not so sure they are going to stay ‘up’. At least we hope, we will have a few days of warmish sunshine and can get out there and do some essential work.

Last week, we had a frost hard enough to kill off the young potato shoots which were encouraged enough to appear above the ridges. I had earthed them up twice but clearly it was not enough. If you have had your potatoes similarly knocked back don’t worry about it. The tuber will put out more shoots to make up for it – the result is usually that the potatoes will be a little later, you will have more of them, as there will be more stems and the potatoes will be a bit smaller. As this was just my 1st early potatoes it doesn’t matter too much that they are small.
The tomato, chilli and pepper plants I had taken to the poly-tunnel have also been hit by the frost by I don’t think it has killed them. The leaves have dead patches on them but, the plants were quite strong and I am hopeful they will grow out of it.
I see that my peas are starting to emerge – sown 2 weeks ago – and I hope there will be a good crop. If you have also sown your peas it is a good idea to cover them with netting. The pigeons  are looking for food everywhere and young succulent shoots are just their cup of tea.
My Brussels Sprouts plants are just ready for transplanting and I will do that today. Like all other brassicas they will also need to be covered with netting.
My bluetit, in her nest-box is sitting on 9 eggs and I am watching every day for them to hatch. She is a busy little girl looking after her eggs and herself. I have seen her partner come to feed her only twice in the last 2 – 3 weeks. Fortunately her food is only a short flight away in the garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment