Pages

Sunday 12 July 2015

Successes and Failures when Growing Garlic



Successes and Failures of Growing Garlic






Of course this is the most wonderful herb/spice/health giving plant throughout the ages and included in the diets of so many cultures. It is related to the onion, shallot, leek family – alliums and is susceptible to the pests and diseases which affect these plants.
Throughout the ages this has been used as a culinary and medicinal plant and was used to maintain health during the plague, as well as to ward off evil spirits, vampires, the evil eye and various spells.
 Whatever your perspective on growing garlic this is surely one of the most important vegetables / herbs/ spices we can grow in our gardens and allotments.
However, it is important to choose a suitable variety for our ground and our climate.
My preference is for autumn planted garlic cloves but if you are taking that route do think of the varieties you are choosing.
I always plant my garlic bulbs in the autumn – late October onto early November. Of course, you must choose a variety which is suitable for autumn planting. Check on the suggestions from producers and providers and consider what they are suggesting.
It has been said that, like onions, autumn sown garlic will not ‘keep’ into the winter. However, I have always planted my garlic in the autumn and finish off my saved crop in the following spring’s preserves.
Planting Garlic
Of course, you can buy your garlic bulbs from the local supermarket and plant those as your ‘seed’ – and this may be cheaper. However, you are unlikely to know the variety or where they have come from. Are they suitable for your ground and/or your climate. They may well have come from a different part of the world and be totally unsuitable for your conditions and may well come with their own pests and diseases. Really, my advice is to buy good quality, certified stock with advice on flavour, season for planting and suitability to your climate and conditions.
The ground for planting should be well worked to give a good deep tilth [ of course, on land like mine, this is difficult if not impossible as I am growing on fairly heavy clay].
Divide each bulb into its individual cloves without, if possible, removing the outer skin of each clove. The individual cloves should be planted at a depth of 3 – 4 cm [1½inches]. In some places, on much lighter soil, this should be a bit deeper but on heavy clay, like mine I usually plant fairly close to the surface. The bulbs should be 12 - 15cm [5 -6 inches] apart in rows 15cm [ 6 inches] apart – allowing room to hoe between rows without damaging the bulbs. It is important to keep the garlic bed free from weeds through the growing season.
Varieties of Garlic
There are so many varieties available now on the market, it is important to look at the different varieties available where you are living and what the local suppliers and garden centres recommend for your soil type and growing conditions.
Of course, I have found that different varieties work better in each year when the weather and climate can change the growing conditions. Until this season, I had always grown Solent Wight and Purple Wight which had always given me a reasonable crop on one of these varieties. This year, I decided to look for different varieties and, after reading all the flavour, growing and ground peculiarities of each crop, I chose Messidrome, Champion White and Champion Purple – all autumn planting varieties. All of these plants were attacked by ‘leek rust’ late in the season [an endemic disease which will always affect my crops – when it attacks the growth will stop so, the later the attack the better the crop. On an allotment situation, this is impossible to control – without some nasty chemicals. However, away from other allium crops and in an environment where you can control the diseases, I am sure this would not be a problem.]
The leek rust was late this year, probably because of a fairly dry spring. I harvested my garlics during early June and left them on raised grids until they had dried well before I took them home. The Messidrome and the Champion Purple have been spectacular – I could not have bought anything better in any market. Although, the Champion White bulbs were okay the bulbs did not fatten up as I would have liked. Of course, I understand that weather conditions are always relevant and perhaps, next year, the results will be different. I think I will try these three varieties again next year.
Really there are always problems. As I have said in previous blogs, there is a problem with ‘white rot in onions’ on our allotment field. For this reason I had stopped growing onions [with white rots, it is important that no alliums are grown on this ground for 9 years – onions, leeks, garlic, spring onions, shallots, etc].
This year, I did find a few bulbs had been affected by the dreaded ‘white rot’ – disappointing though not unexpected. Next year, I must find a different area to plant them.


Nutritional Value of Garlic
Dietary Fibre – 11%,      Carbohydrate 15%           Protein  17%
Vitamin C    - 71%          Thiamin         18%           Vit B6   84%
Riboflavin    -  9%           Calcium         25%           Iron        13%
Phosphorus   -  21%         Potassium       16%          Zinc        11%
Manganese   - 114%         Selenium        28%

Harvesting and Storing
When or if the garlic plants are affected by leek rust, the plants will stop growing and they can then be harvested. If they have not been affected then the tops of the plants, like onions will cease to grow and the tops of the plants will turn over, indicating that they are no longer growing. Dig up the plants and lay them out on the ground or on a suitable grid to allow the top growth to dry out for several days at least, in warm dry weather or, hang them up in a dry environment – a dry, frost-free shed for example
Weave the garlics into plaits or bunches to allow them to dry out so that they will survive the winter.
Store in a cool dry place over winter – they should last until next year’s crop is ready [assuming you have grown enough!]

Elephant Garlic
This plant, although called a garlic and smells vaguely of garlic is not a garlic. It is more closely related to the leek family – although, of course, they are all of the Allium species.
I have grown Elephant Garlic as I was given one of the huge bulbs a couple of years ago to try. This is expensive to buy and although as easy to grow as garlic, for me it has a disappointingly mild flavour. Perhaps for those who are so keen on the pungent aroma and flavour of a strong garlic, they are very suitable. For me, a good flavoursome garlic is an essential in my kitchen and I always peruse the catalogues for those varieties which have a robust flavour, will grow well on my ground and in my allotment conditions and will store well.

Next Season
Although I have planted 4 bulbs each of three different varieties and the harvest has been good, I think perhaps, when I have given many of these away to members of my family and used many more in my preserves, I should have planted twice as much. But, which varieties?

No comments:

Post a Comment