Pages

Monday 1 December 2014

It's December on the Allotment


December on the Allotment – What should we do this month?
It has been a long mild, wet autumn but, already, at the beginning of December we have had some quite hard frosts, even in the inner cities in the South of England. I have been reading warnings for the next three months being very cold but, you know what…. it’s winter! I realise I also said this last year but it wasn’t such a harsh winter after all.  Although, there have been some suggestion that we will have a white Christmas. I’m not fond of snow. I’m happy enough to waken up on Christmas morning and see a white magical world but, after that I would like it to go away quickly and let me get on with life!
Fortunately, most of my plot has been dug already before it became too wet and muddy to dig. I have noticed in my heavy clay soil that there is a huge difference in the quality and plantability of the ground which has been autumn dug and that which must wait until spring. The rain and frost of wintertime make such a difference. Those areas which are growing winter crops must wait until their crops are cleared and are likely to be lumpy and difficult to break down in the new growing season. Of course, the earlier dug areas are already covered with weeds. I will take out all the perennial and obstinate weeds then leave the rest to be dug in as a green manure crop. I find this challenging as I think it looks very untidy but, my friend Pete was horrified when I said I would remove all the weeds so, I will bow to his greater knowledge.

Maintenance
Ø  Look after winter crops – brassicas, leeks, parsnips, etc, clear of weeds and watch out for pests like white fly and slugs on the brassicas;
Ø  If you have not already done so, cut back asparagus ferns as they turn yellow and compost. Remove all debris from the asparagus beds to reduce overwintering asparagus beetles - cover the beds with a good layer of compost or well rotted manure;
Ø  Wash the insides of the spaces with detergent and water or, if you prefer with Jeyes Fluid [try to avoid this chemical on the soil but, using this should prevent the recurrence of algae for a couple of years]. You may find that the outside of your greenhouse or polytunnel has been more affected by algae than the outside [especially in a damp/wet year] and cleaning this is ‘a must’ to avoid a reduction in the light available for your crops in the coming year;
Ø  As you finish using tools, cloches and netting, ensure they are clean and store in a safe and dry environment;
Ø  If you have netting over fruit cages, it is advisable to remove it before winter – particularly on the ‘roof’ as the weight of winter snow can collapse your cage;
Ø  Clear away and compost dead rhubarb leaves.
If you have not already done so, in the milder parts of the country this is a good time to rejuvenate mature rhubarb clumps – dig up the crowns and split them. Replant the strongest pieces. Discard any small pieces and plant the best ones. Don’t dig up all of you old rhubarb plants in one year or you will have nothing to harvest the following year – the plants should be allowed to establish for a year before harvesting;
Ø  Protect crops such as winter and spring cabbages from severe frost – straw, environmesh, horticultural fleece or netting [ netting will only be good on fairly light frosts];
Ø  Cut back and cover globe artichoke plants before frost becomes severe. It is recommended that they should be covered with straw but, on an exposed site, your straw may blow away – environmesh or plant fleece will make good substitutes but, don’t allow the fabric to rest on the plants;
Ø  Put glue bands around the trunks of fruit trees, especially apple trees to capture moths which can damage the crop in the following season;
Ø  As fruit trees – apples and pears become dormant [ when they have lost their leaves] it is time to prune – between November and March is usual although in milder areas many of the trees have not yet lost their leaves and may start to bud and flower by March. Do make sure your secateurs and loppers are good quality and sharp to avoid crushing the branches which will allow diseases to gain a hold.
Preparation and Planning
Ø  Prepare beds for winter planting perennial crops, fruit trees, bushes and canes;
Ø  Asparagus can be planted in autumn and I see that Dobies [of Devon] is advertising asparagus crowns in 3 litre pots which can [they say] be harvested the following year. Although they seem expensive if bought individually, they have deals of buying in groups which just about makes this a feasible proposition – why not try them in large ‘grow sacks’… like potato grow sacks in your back yard. I haven’t tried this so, I can’t say how successful it would be.
Most of the large seed houses have now sent out their autumn catalogues. Write to them to request a catalogue or find them on-line
Harvesting
Ø  Brassicas – Brussels Sprouts, broccoli/calabrese, kale and winter cabbage
Ø  Some late main-crop potatoes and potatoes grown for Christmas harvesting
Ø  Leeks and parsnips
Ø  Parsley
Taking Care of our birds
Ø  There are many people who advocate the principle that wildlife [including birds should be self-sufficient, that we should not have to feed and water them, provide them with shelter and nesting sites, suitable created environments. However, it is important to remember that human beings are hugely responsible for destroying the habitats, food sources, nesting sites and other environmentally suitable conditions for our birds and other wildlife. I feel it is important for us to give something back. Please forgive my rant but, for me, my allotment is also a place I go to, to experience wildlife within my inner city environment.
In  spite of the fact that I have cats, only one of whom is interested in or fit to chase wildlife [ She seems to be focusing on mice at the moment!], I have an extensive bird feeding station in my back garden. Magpies, pigeons and collared doves are the most frequent visitors but, in spite of being considered ‘vermin’ of course, they are also little animals trying to ‘make a living’. I have seen a few very small mice brought into my house [well bits of them really!], who are coming into the garden to forage the dropped foods from the birds and I am sorry that my cat is predating on them but I’d rather that than they come into my house to become a pest. While it took some time to encourage them in, [the birds, that is] I believe I have now identified 20 different species.
I now have a bird nesting box with a camera attached to my house. I acquired it too late to attract birds to next last spring and I stupidly put in scraps of wool to help with their nesting. I hadn’t realised that they would assume that some other bird had already claimed it. However, in the long run it was probably good that they hadn’t nested there as I had to have my drains replaced just below the nesting box. As the work went on for some time I cannot imagine the birds would have found this acceptable.
This season, I am ready and hope to have some great shots of nesting great-tits.
It is important to be aware that in really harsh winters it is the lack of water rather than the lack of food which will kill most birds so do leave a source of water and replace frozen water or break ice on water butts or ponds where possible.
 







And foxes in my back garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment