Pages

Wednesday 7 May 2014

North Somerset Agricultural Show - 2014



The North Somerset Show 2014

It always amazes me how much this really agricultural show is supported by the close yet, essentially urban environment of the city of Bristol. Just outside Wraxall and no more than 10 minutes from the south Bristol suburb of Long Ashton it is held annually in a superbly bucolic and very beautiful site in what I believe is a dedicated showground.
This year I went with all of my family which included two little boys – the elder 17 months and the younger celebrating his first birthday. I think at times the noise and serious crowds of devotees of all things farming was a bit much. Although my elder grandson is used to a city farm close to his London home, the animals there are so much quieter. When a particularly obstreperous ram ‘baaed’ very loudly at him, he was really quite dismayed and our enthusiasm for the livestock didn’t quite persuade him to get 'up close and personal’.
We arrived fairly early as the judging starts and finishes during the first few hours and it is one of the aspects of the show we enjoy most. Among a plethora of seductive food kiosks, a particularly tasty Hog Roast tempted many of my party to indulge early. As some of us had eaten a fairly hearty breakfast before we came to the Show, the best I could manage was a bite from someone else’s portion – it was delicious and I almost wished I had arrived hungry.
Of course the animals are the best bit. Such wonderful varieties of pigs, cattle and sheep – this year I didn’t see any alpacas or llamas – a pity! I was told there was a poultry section but, yet again I didn’t get to see it although this year I did manage to see the show-jumping.
A really big hit with my grandsons was the tractors section – wow! What machines available these days! And to my grandson’s delight a stall where toy replicas of the monster machines were being sold – how could we resist?

Of course, little boys still need their afternoon sleep and after some very tasty snacking in the marquee where a wonderful selection of foods was available to buy we had to go home and as the main crowds were still queuing up to get in.
Although the weather forecast had suggested there might be some heavy showers, it stayed dry and sunny and by midday everyone was shucking off their coats.

No comments:

Post a Comment