Pages

Friday 18 January 2013

Late January and wow! It's winter - also potatoes and Leeks



Well, winter for the South West!
The snow has brought the South west to a standstill – few flights from Bristol airport [though a few], few trains running [though a few], part of the M4 closed in Wiltshire, schools and colleges closed, no buses running in Bristol – the list could go on. Bristol is in an ‘amber alert’ area with nearby Forest of Dean and South East Wales in a ‘red alert’ area for snow disruption.
I’m sure there will be lots of communities around the world who would sneer at us for allowing 4inches [12cm] of snow to allow our lives to come to a standstill but, this only happens here for a few days every 8 – 10 years or for a prolonged period every 25 years or so. It would be a profligate council or country which spent multi millions on dealing with a weather situation which happens so rarely. So, let the children have a day or two off school and enjoy the snow; allow their teachers and their parents to stay at home also and support them where necessary – it will only be for a short time.
Yesterday, as this weather was predicted for us, I went to my plot to harvest some vegetables and to feed the birds. I brought home some leeks and sprouts which won’t last too long but, it was very apparent that the birds were pretty miserable. Even the magpies and pigeons didn’t move from the food until I was right beside them and only one robin appeared, willing to face the wrath of the pigeon to grab his bit of food.
At home I have set up a bird feeding station – I hope well out of the reach of my cats but, so far I’ve had few takers. I have noticed that a magpie has returned a few times. Perhaps that will encourage the others.
The speakers on my PC – now about 15 years old and pretty pathetic anyway, my son was disgusted by them – eventually gave up the ghost a couple of days ago. Following my son’s advice, I bought a new set which would be compatible with my PC from Maplin. I was amazed when they arrived the next day. The delivery driver reckoned that it was probably because the company was afraid of the snow causing huge pile-ups of goods to be delivered. I thought that possibly The Thompson & Morgan potato seed suppliers had a similar thought as I had my order delivered on the same day. I had hoped, vaguely, that they would have been delivered before now as I like to be in control of the chitting process especially for my first earlies I will plant in my polytunnel by mid February – of course I expect the weather to be kinder by then. If, like me you buy your potato seed from a seed supplier by post or on-line, be sure to remove all the packaging as soon as possible. If left in plastic bags or bundled up, they will rot. To chit them - set them out on tray [egg boxes are good for small quantities] with the 'eyes' upwards. They should be chitted in a frost-free, dry, light place, though out of direct sunlight. The 'chits' or sprouts should be shortish and sturdy, not long and spindly. All sorts of stuff my happen to our weather as a result of the melting ice-cap and the resulting push south of the Jet Stream but, I still believe that our weather system will stabilise and I really have to go with that.
Now is definitely the time to get your potato seed. Have a look at the Potato Council Site for growing advice and look on their Consumer Websites for advice on varieties. Alternatively look on www.allotment.org.uk for varieties which suit your taste and ground.
As I do every year, this year I am trying out a couple of new varieties. Last year, as my first early variety I couldn’t find my favourite – Accent, to buy as a seed potato so, I bought Emerald Vale instead. The red ants, in my polytunnel were definitely a contributing factor in my disappointment in the crop but, nonetheless, I was disappointed in the quality of the potato. If this was the best I could expect it would definitely be a waste of time, effort and tunnel space.
This year, I have managed to get, yet again, Accent. I now have them chitting and hope I will have excluded all the red ants from my tunnel – though! I’ll keep my eyes open!
For new varieties this year I’m trying – Epicure – a first early and well recommended. International Kidney – a 2nd early. Yet again, I going to plant Mayan Gold. Although a complete waste of time last year, my memories of the crop the year before and how amazingly delicious it was will keep me trying for sometime yet.

I have created a page on the website for ‘Plant of the Week’. In it’s first week, at the start of the year, I thought I would start with Leeks as they are now very much a harvestable crop and also coming close to sowing time again. Do have a look at the linked website.
For using them, try Leek and Potato Soup, Leeks in a Cheesy Sauce and Sweetcorn and Leek Soup, definitely the best!
Sweetcorn and Leek Soup
8oz [225g] sweetcorn kernels (fresh, tinned or frozen)
2 good sized leeks – washed thoroughly and sliced
2 medium potatoes – washed, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 stick celery – washed and sliced
1 Tblsp. rape-seed or olive oil
1 oz [25g] butter
1 pt [570ml] vegetable stock
¼ pt [275ml] milk – you may use cream if you wish
Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
2 oz [50gm] cheddar cheese
Method
·         Wash and slice the leeks – if, like me you are using leeks from the garden or the allotment and they are a bit mucky, slice into short lengths, it is easier to remove any mud or grit.
·         Put the oil and butter into a large saucepan and heat gently.
·         Add the leeks and celery and sweat [cook gently without colouring – don’t allow the leeks to brown as this will make them bitter] until soft.
·         Add the cubed potatoes and the sweetcorn kernels. Mix in well but don’t allow to stick.
·         Add the stock and black pepper and stir in well.
·         Bring to the boil, then simmer gently until the vegetables are well cooked and soft.
·         Add salt to taste and milk or cream. Bring back to the boil briefly.
·         Serve in a tureen or in individual dishes, Sprinkle over with the grated cheese – if you have a cooks blowtorch the cheese can be ‘toasted’ on top.
·         Serve immediately with warm crusty bread.

For my next plant of the week pages I think I will look at parsnips and potatoes. Do get back to me if you think some plant – vegetable, fruit or herb should have a seasonal priority.

This wonderful sunny snowy scene comes from my son's view from his house in Newcastle - how beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment