Pages

Tuesday 18 September 2012

Florence - The Rennaissance City - chapter 2



Florence – The Renaissance City – 2
Well, it is now truly autumn now that I’ve been back in the UK and Bristol for a couple of weeks and the sweaty heat of Italy is almost forgotten but, the experience is most definitely not forgotten and Florence is a city which can only improve on another visit – for me that would be a third.
We started our Sunday morning, with a visit to Florence’s celebrated Duomo – the Cathedral [Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore – the Church of Saint Mary of the Flower]. You can find it in the Piazza del Duomo, unsurprisingly. The building, started in the late 13th century and completed in 1436 has a facade of marble panels of green and pink with later additions of white. Although the main entrance has been cleaned and is sparkling, the rest of the exterior is definitely in need of restoration – not apparent from a distance.
On Sundays, tourist visits to the Duomo don’t start until mid to late afternoon. We had not registered this fact when we got up bright and early for our visit. However, you can still enter the cathedral for Sunday mass which, we decided to do – well, I did have to persuade my daughter – just a little. I loved this and found the experience soothing. I was somewhat surprised at ‘collection/offering’ time that we were the only participants who gave a ‘silent’ contribution [paper money]. I believe every other participant gave coins. When my daughter drew my attention to this I was somewhat surprised. I am not a regular churchgoer but, having not been in a church for many years where adult churchgoers give only a few coins, I thought it a little mean.
The inside of the Duomo is very plain, unlike many of the other churches around the city. I liked this but, if you are looking for the more ornate Renaissance style do have a look at the Basilica of San Lorenzo, one of the largest churches in the market area of the old city.
As we came out from mass, the predicted thunder clouds had gathered darkly over us and as spots of rain started to speckle the pavement before us, we decided to enjoy a cafe latte under the huge umbrellas of a nearby cafe. Even before we were served, the thunderstorm broke above us. For a while we enjoyed the excitement of the storm. However, eventually the heavy driving rain forced us indoors where we skulked until the skies started to clear.
We then scampered though the light rain at the end of the storm to the Museo Galileo [Institute & Museum of the History of Science] on Piazza del Giudici.
Normally, I can get bored with museums quite quickly but, this one is truly fascinating and well worth a couple of hours to visit and experience the many explanations of how things work. If you have young children with you, there is a small interactive section.
Our next planned visit was to the Boboli Gardens. I had hoped to visit the Belvedere Fort, from where, I understood, I would be able to view many miles over the Tuscan countryside. However, after some accidents in the last couple of years, it seems the fort has been closed to visitors.
I was surprised, though I don’t really know why, to discover that the gardens stretch over many hectares up and over a hillside so, if you are visiting, expect a strenuous climb and a lot of walking. Still, the views are amazing and the gardens relaxing and very beautiful – though very different from the British idea of a beautiful garden which, with its much higher rainfall would be greener and full of flowers.
The next day we had planned a trip to a couple of vineyards. I don’t drink red wine normally as, I discovered many years ago that I was allergic to many red wines [possibly the excess sulphides used in the production of some wines or the tannins from the oak barrel storage]. My daughter did point out to me that most of the wines produced in the area close to Florence were red wines. However, for me the experience was the ‘thing’ – let’s just go and enjoy it.

Our first visit was to a very quiet, family run, small vineyard to the south of Florence – Castello Sonnino at Montespertoli. Following a tour of the castle and the wine production, we were enthralled by an early lunch with wine tasting. Starting at 11.30 in the morning it was somewhat disconcerting that there was no expectation that our ‘tasting’ involved spitting out the extensive variety of wines. Of course, it was pointed out to us that, in Italy, wine is always drunk with food. The food arrayed before us was simple, local, organic, delicious – breads, cheeses, hams and salamis, honey, salads and... for the second course,  pasta with fresh pesto. By midday, or shortly afterwards, we were definitely feeling mellow and could probably have stayed much longer if the second vineyard had not also been booked. Many of our group bought a range of products, including the wonderful wines. My favourite was definitely the Cantinino – very dry and spicy [not cheap at the vineyard, you could expect to pay four times that amount in a restaurant so, well worth buying a box or three to send home]. ‘Do you have any negative effects from the wine?’ my daughter asked me as we left. But, no, I didn’t, happily, probably because the wines from this vineyard are all totally organic.
The next vineyard we visited was much larger and although, still family owned, was much more commercial with many tours passing through. The gardens were pleasant and the cellars interesting. The three wines we tried were good but definitely not as seductive as those we enjoyed at Castello Sonnino. However, the two vineyards were very different experiences and both worth sampling.
We booked our tour through Viator. The guide was very knowledgeable, being a qualified sommelier and I would really recommend this tour – most enjoyable and informative – and oh! the food!
We reluctantly left Florence on Tuesday morning to return to cool, rainy UK and work but, the advantage of living in the UK is that we are so close to France, Italy Spain, Germany and all these wonderful experiences. And, of course, I would still rather have our cool, reliably wet, growing environment to come back to. Now to harvest my tomatoes, peppers, chillies, courgettes and all those different brassicas.

No comments:

Post a Comment