Pages

Tuesday 10 July 2012

strawberries


Strawberries, Strawberries
Well, the disappointing weather, this year, continues. I find I am commiserating with other gardeners and plot holders on an almost daily basis. My regular mantra of – all weather is good for something - [well, apart from storms and especially from the east – but, that aside!] is not going down well. I gather, from the news that the USA is having our share of the sunshine on top of their own and we are have their share of the rain, etc. That said, while a few people have died in the floods in the UK, I think there have been many deaths in the US from the exceptionally high temperatures. My heart goes out to all who have suffered from the extreme weather conditions that have been experienced in many countries around the world.
A plot neighbour was telling me that we have experienced unusually low light conditions for several months. This has affected many of our crops, and yields in potato crops have been particularly affected. While this is depressing, it is good to know that it is probably not something we have done but, is down to the weather conditions we have and just have to live with.
Yes, I know, it is okay for me. I am in the position, along with many allotment holders, of being able to go to my plot whenever the rain stops for a moment or two and when the sun creeps out. I am still worried about the more exotic crops like tomatoes, peppers, chillies [are they exotic? Well, they are insofar as they need sunshine, a commodity not guaranteed in the British Isles]. The plants are lushly green but the fruits are not ripening. I shall probably still be moaning on about this in my next few blogs but, I live in hope of some sunshine to come this summer.
Brassicas [cabbages-Golden Acre, Cauliflower-All Year Round], peas[Hurst Greenshaft], beetroots [Boltardy], Courgettes [Orelia], Broad Beans [Imperial Green Longpod, sown in February – autumn sown beans are well past their time] are all doing very well with little effort from me - what joy! And, for the first time since I’ve started growing the stuff, my coriander is actually staying in leaf and hasn’t gone straight to seed. Perhaps I didn’t water it enough in previous years [or at all!]
Although I think that fruit is poor this year, I find I am coming home with bowls full and buckets full of a rich selection of fruit. Yes, the crops are disappointingly low but, I find I still have a lot of fruit to deal with. Of course, when you spend hours harvesting these crops, you must spend even more hours doing something with them.
Two days ago, I came home with a bucket full of gooseberries – to be made into Gooseberry chilli jelly [I haven’t tried this yet. The recipe has been given to me by a friend and I’m half way through the process of making it – will report back]; a large bowl of redcurrants [now in redcurrant jelly – a disappointing harvest this year]; 2 large tubs of raspberries [now frozen in tubs] and a large bowl of strawberries.
Well, I’ve titled this blog ‘Strawberries, Strawberries’ and I really do have lots of strawberries to deal with. It has not been a good year for this fruit. The lack of heat and sun has resulted in a very late crop which has been attacked by blackbirds, slugs, ants, woodlice, greymould. Did I leave anything out?
I try to keep to reasonably sized beds going, 4 by 9 plants across a five metre wide lot. My new bed has produced nothing – but that is probably good as it is recommended that no crop is taken in the first year. Much of the fruit has been attacked by wet rot, pests and diseases on the older plot [also 4 by 9 plants] but has still allowed me a good ongoing crop. This year I have had demands from my family for strawberry conserve. It does take some time to make [ up to 3 days] but, I have seen a pot of it demolished by three people on fresh, homemade bread in  one sitting.
Strawberry Conserve
There are many recipes for strawberry conserve and all saying much the same thing. This particular one is from ‘Allotment Growing Recipes’ – www.allotment.org.uk
 2lb (1kg) small strawberries or halved, hulled larger strawberries
2lb (1kg) granulated sugar
Juice of 1 lemon (or 2 Tblsp bottled lemon juice)
·        Place alternate layers of strawberries and sugar into a bowl.
·        Add the lemon juice, cover and leave to stand overnight – 12 hours.
·        Next day, transfer the fruit and the sugar to a pan, bring slowly to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
·        Pour back into the bowl, cover and leave again for another day.
·        Finally, transfer to a pan, bring to the boil and simmer until setting point is reached.
·        Remove from the heat and leave to cool a little (until the fruit begins to sink in the syrup).
·        Stir and pour into small, hot, sterilised jars and cover immediately. Label.

Strawberry jam should not be ignored as it is arguably everyone’s favourite jam:
 
Strawberry Jam
2kg ( 4lb) strawberries
1¾ kg  ( 3½ lb) sugar
Juice of half a lemon
Method
1.      Hull the strawberries and wash only if really necessary ( it is important that no more liquid is added to the fruit).
2.      Put the strawberries into the preserving pan with the lemon juice and heat very slowly until the fruit is really soft and has released much of its juice. ( 20 minutes or so).
3.      Add the sugar and stir over a gentle heat until you are sure that all the sugar has dissolved.
4.      Bring it to the boil and boil briskly until setting point is reached – test  a little on a saucer or use a sugar thermometer.
5.      Leave the jam in the pan for 10 – 15 minutes until it has cooled slightly. (when it has cooled slightly the setting process has started and this prevents the fruit rising to the top.
6.      Heat sterilised jam pots then place them on a wooden surface to pot the jam.
7.      Pot up the jam, cover and label.
( my personal preference is for the jam to be only lightly set, I think it has a better flavour.)

Strawberry Cheese Cake – possibly everyone’s favourite cheesecake!
1 x 8oz pkt digestive biscuits [250gm]
4 oz [100gm] melted butter
4 oz [100gm] icing sugar
2 x 300 ml Philadelphia [or similar] cheese – you may prefer to use ‘light’ to reduce the fat content
300ml double cream
1lb [500gm] strawberries
Juice of half a lemon
A spoonful of icing sugar for the top
Method
·         Using a rolling pin, crush the digestive biscuits between layers of greaseproof paper or in a large plastic bag.
·         Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the crushed biscuits. Mix well.
·         Grease the base of a loose bottomed cake tin or round pie dish[if using a pie dish, ensure the dish is well greased]. Add the cake crumbs and flatten down well. Chill until set.
·         Cut up about a quarter of the strawberries – keeping the best for the topping and place in a bowl.
·         Add the lemon juice, cheese and icing sugar and whizz with an electric mixer until well mixed.
·         Spread the cheese mixture over the biscuit base and ensure it is firmed down and smooth on top. Return to the fridge until well set.
·         Remove the cake from the cake tin and place on a suitable serving dish.
·         Cut up the remaining strawberries and place them on top of the cake. Sprinkle with sieved icing sugar. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint and serve with fresh cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment