Pages

Thursday 15 March 2012

Mid March, Springtime! Planting Potatoes


It’s Springtime! Planting Potatoes, etc
Where I come from – Ireland – it is traditional to start planting potato seed from St Patrick’s Day – 17th March. Of course, other factors must be taken into consideration. Do you live in the north west of the country or the south east? What is the quality of the land? What is the weather like in that particular year?
I come originally, from the north east of Ireland. Excellent farming country, wealthy farmers [although my father had been brought up on a County Down farm, he was not a farmer when I was young] and outstanding production of potatoes. My own farming experience was based in the north west of Ireland, where my husband and I could afford to buy a farm for ourselves. Neither the land nor weather is favourable for vegetable production of any kind. However, every family was self sufficient in potatoes as the method of planting, harvesting and storing gave a good crop every year in spite of the poor conditions. Growing potatoes there taught me much about using the potato crop to ‘till’ the ground for other crops. It also taught me a fear of blight.
Now that I live in south west England, I know that potato blight was not just a potato disease in Ireland in the 19th century. It’s impact would not have been so significant had it not been the staple food for so many. This fungus is endemic throughout Europe and a similar fungus also affects our tomato crops.
Of course, the warmer and wetter the weather, the greater the likelihood of attacks of blight on our crops, especially on an allotment where the spores are already present and can spread easily, given the right conditions. I always try to plant early and harvest early – so far, gulp! I have managed to avoid this curse, though not on my tomatoes, unfortunately – more later!
Last autumn, November, I had reason to revisit the part of Co Down where I grew up and I was amazed to see many acres of potato crops which had not been lifted – the potato stalks dried on top of the ridges. I guess the farmers there invest so much in this crop that they use strong chemicals to ensure no blight!
That said, we, on our little plots don’t have ploughs, harrows, seeders, ridgers to plant our crops for us. Nor do we use the strong chemicals to protect our crops. We must get out there, when the weather is suitable, and plant our potatoes by hand. And consider how much healthier [and tastier] our potato crops will be
In south west England I believe, the conditions are just about as kind as they can be for growing. Other parts of the south of England might be dryer and warmer and the ground might be lighter and more freely draining but, the downside of that is that it is not so fertile and must be irrigated in dry weather. Already, this year, there are threats of hosepipe bans and the continuing dry weather throughout the south of England is threatening potato crops to shops and supermarkets later in the year. I feel privileged, yet again, that I have the means to grow my own and hopefully, share some with my friends.
While it might be a little early [yes! It is before St Patrick’s Day], I have already planted 4 ridges of early and some Purple Majesty, outdoors. My 1st earlies [ Vales Emerald, planted in my poly-tunnnel] are already up, have been earthed up and are up through the ridges. I am hopeful of a crop by mid April. The rest of my 1st earlies – Vales Emerald and Red Duke of York have now been planted. A couple of years ago, I was enthralled by the reports about Purple Majesty potatoes – their anti-oxidant properties, how delicious they were, etc. In 2010 I was unable to buy these potatoes as seed so, resorted to buying them as an eating potato from a supermarket and growing. Although I had not been impressed by them from the supermarket I did love them when I grew them myself. They would boil, mash, roast, chip, salad. What else could you want from a potato and they were delicious – but purple [ and full of anti-oxidants]. Now it seems, these high-in-antioxidants are ‘the business’. We also have Salad Blue [maincrop, which are good in all areas], Vitelotte [maincrop – also good in all areas but minis] and Congo, also mini but highly recommended. I haven’t tried any of these but might try them next year – look at Thompson& Morgan for seed.
My method of planting is the dig a trench – 10 – 12” deep[25-30cm]. Put in a layer of well rotted manure, place the potatoes at intervals [ depending on the crop – earlies – 12”-15”, maincrop 15” – 20”] with the eyes or ‘chits’ [the sprouts’] up. Fill in the trench, being careful to not break any chits on the potatoes and label. You can ‘ridge-up’ later as the sprouts start to show above ground. If you are planting really early, it might be advisable to cover your ridges with fleece to protect from frost. We are, of course, at risk of frost until June. Potatoes are susceptible to frost damage but, I have noticed that, although early sprouting may well be damaged by late frost, the tubers will put out new sprouts. This is likely to give crops of fewer but, larger potatoes.
My white sprouting broccoli is now ‘coming into its own’ and is producing just about as much as I can eat each day. Yet again, along with my leeks, I have enough vegetables from my plot to avoid buying from the shops, although I do regret the end of my potatoes and onions so I now must buy them.
Some year ago, when I first took on my plot I planted out a row of hyacinths from bulbs which had been forced for indoor display. When they had finished flowering, I put the bulbs out on my allotment and didn’t worry too much whether they succeeded or not. Now, each year, I can cut the stems for display at home and how wonderful they are – the perfume hits me each time I walk into my house.
I have moved a few of my potted-on plants to my cold poly-tunnel to see how they will get on. As always providing enough light for propagated plants is a problem. I potted up lots of my tomato plants and took 3 of them to my tunnel as well as a tray of 'hardened-off' lavender. Let's see how they do.
As always I try to engage with the birds around my allotment. Today, when I put out the food [I have 4 different stations] I am thrilled by the number and variety of birds that turn up. Always my robins are there. I know I am in the territory or two separate couples, but maybe three. I also have dunnocks, sparrows and several species of tits and this year, I have seen a couple of wrens. Of course, I can’t ignore the pigeons, crows, gulls and magpies. There is a pair of magpies already building their nest, very noisily, in a tree beside my plot. I think they feel I’m a soft touch! I have seen a couple of blackbirds but, unfortunately, I fear their numbers have decreased, not least, as a result of the increased numbers of magpies who will take their eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment