Pages

Wednesday 4 January 2012

The Plot in January


The Plot in January

It has been so wet for so long, I have been prevented from spending any time on the plot and, apart from feeding the birds and harvesting a few vegetables, it hasn’t been possible to do much anyway.
The ground is sodden but, I took a walk around the whole field to see what might be happening that we could be cheerful about. A new development at the bottom of our fields – a community allotment and edible forest project which has had Lottery funding was just running with water – literally. I guess the excess water from the whole field accumulates at the bottom of the hill in this area. And, following the clearing work with a heavy digger the ground is very raw. But, by spring and early summer, I just know it will look amazing and when it has had a couple of years to mature, it will be everything that has been envisioned for it.
Well! That wasn’t cheerful, but, a lot of other stuff was. Already there are signs of new growth. Bulbs are already appearing above ground. My hyacinths are already showing buds. A few clumps of early rhubarb are starting to show new growth. My autumn planted Purple Wight garlic is growing on strongly and the Solent Wight – a much later variety – is showing its sprouts above ground. Similarly, several varieties of shallot, I planted in late October and November are growing well. And, my autumn sown broad beans are now six or seven inches tall under their protective coat of fleece. I know it is still early January and there is plenty of time for the winter to turn bitterly and damagingly cold but, already I am looking for spring and making plans for the new season.
Each year I waste several packets of seeds in my impatience for the growing year to start – planting carrots and parsnips (this can work in a mild year but the last two years have given a 100% failure of those crops, even with a layer of fleece or a cloche to warm the ground a bit).  My early sowings of tomatoes and chillies in my propagator have also been disappointing. They did germinate, easily, but, what then? I don’t have a heated greenhouse to move them into and my poly-tunnel is much too cold for these tender plants. So far, I have not been able to provide enough suitable light to grow them on successfully. Last winter I bought a ‘daylight’ bulb and that certainly helped to supplement the natural light through the south facing window where the propagator sits but, I think I will still wait until March before I start the process this year.
So far this winter, I have not cleaned the inside of my poly-tunnel but, I am mindful that it’s important the ground in my tunnel does not become too dry or, it will be difficult to ‘bring back’ in the spring. Obviously, it doesn’t need to be watered every day but, every two to three weeks it still needs a good drenching. At least today it was dry enough to do that. I will plant early potatoes in my tunnel again this year about the middle of February. All being well, this will give me an early crop of new potatoes several weeks before they are ready outside and can be cleared from the tunnel by the time I need it for other crops. Even during the last two very bitter winters this worked well.
Already, I have had my seed potatoes from Dobies (since before Christmas, they always get them out to customers in plenty of time to have them chatted ready for planting). This year I wasn’t able to get my favourite First Early potato seeds – Accent so, I’m trying something new (for me!) – Red Duke of York and Vales Emerald. Red Duke of York is catalogued as having very low resistance to late blight but, as I am growing them as a First Early, I’m hoping this won’t be a problem.
I have also received my seed for Purple Majesty. An early maincrop, this is the first year (I believe) that it has been available to buy as seed. Last year, I just bought a packet of eating potatoes from the supermarket and planted those. I was not impressed by them as an eating potato from the supermarket but, grown on my plot and eaten fresh they were delicious and apparently, full of anti-oxidents.
Do have a look at an absolutely excellent site for information on most, if not all, varieties of potatoes (certainly they have listed all varieties I have looked up and many, many more) – The British Variety Database [Potato Council] http://varieties.potato.org.uk/.  It gives information on the growing properties, resistance to pests and diseases, uses in cooking and origin – brilliant!
My potatoes are chitting well in the mean cardboard boxes I have provided for them. I am most envious of the Christmas present my daughter gave to my son – proper, purpose made, wooden, potato chitting crates. Their only drawback was that he then had to transport these bulky items from London to Newcastle by train – bless! There is always next Christmas !
I see it is now raining again. I’m glad I went to my plot early. An interesting aside – this year has been so mild, my rose bushes and those of my neighbour are still flowering!
Happy New Year   -   Athbhliain Shona Feliz   -   Año Nuevo - Glckliches neues Jahr
  Blwyddyn Newydd Dda   -    Feliz Ano Novo   -   Joyeux Nouvel An   -   Buon anno

No comments:

Post a Comment