Pages

Tuesday 29 November 2011

Autumn and Winter Vegetables - 2 - Spuashes and Pumpkins


Winter Vegetables – 2 – Squashes and Pumpkins
I have come to this group of vegetables late in my life and late in my growing experience. My daughter and a neighbour on my allotment field have introduced me to the delights of them. My favourite vegetables are brassicas, closely followed by the allium family and potatoes. After that come the legumes (beans and peas). So, you can see that those fruiting vegetables come a long way down my hierarchy of favourites. Of course I grow tomatoes and peppers and chillies. I use them, dry them for use in the winter or freeze them for dishes in the winter.
I have given up growing aubergines. I did produce some excellent crops of these in my poly tunnel in warm years but, I found that I was not seduced by them and gave most away. I don’t dislike them but, when they are available there is so much more stuff I prefer.
Until last year, this same principal applied to squashes and pumpkins. It was a challenge to grow lots of different varieties but, somewhere along the line there have been some varieties I have learned to love , want to grow because I want to eat them and hope to store them for winter eating.
My favourites, by a long way are Butternut Squash – there are several different varieties of these and all of the ones I’ve grown have been excellent though, disappointingly, each plant produces – for me anyway, no more than 2 fruits. Okay, I can plan for that but, last year my germination rate for pumpkins and squashes was definitely not good – no more than 30%. And when you consider that in each packet of seed you get no more than 5 or 6 seeds, this is definitely not enough to see me through the winter.
Last year, I was totally impressed by pumpkin ‘Baby Bear’ which produces smallish fruits suitable for eating in one meal – I loved them but, this spring the germination rate was 0%. Instead I had ‘Hooligan’ which were similar in size but had much harder skins. They were similarly prolific – each plant producing 4 or 5 fruits. Their skin is unbelievably tough but, the flesh is excellent. I’ve also grown Justynka – not amazingly prolific but it does produce a range of sizes for medium to small and is quite delicious.
Already I have bought a range of different seeds for next year, including those which have not done so well this year. 2011 was a difficult year so I feel it is important to grow a range of vegetables which might be successful. Long range weather forecasters are suggesting that we might be into an extended period of unpredictable weather so, it is probably in our own interests to plan accordingly.
Anyway, do try some delicious and seasonal recipes for squashes and pumpkins:
Butternut Squash  Soup
1 Medium to large butternut squash ( well this depends on the average you have produced on your plot)
 2  Large potatoes ( the floury variety)
1 litre ( 2 pints) chicken or vegetable stock
1 medium Chilli pepper ( my choice is for Joe’s Long, I find them reliably medium hot even in cool years)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Finely chopped coriander
 2 – 3 cloves of garlic
150 ml ( ¼ pint double cream) if you wish you can add milk to deduce the fat content.
A dollop of crème fraishe to garnish.
Method
·         Wash and cut the squash in half lengthways. Remove the seeds.
·         Peel the garlic cloves and put them in the seed spaces of the squashes to raost.
·         Roast the squash – oven 180ºC  no 5 gas for 25 to 30 mins.
·         In the meantime, wash, peel and cut the potatoes into cubes.
·         Put the potatoes into a large saucepan with the stock, chilli and seasoning and bring to the boil. Simmer gently.
·         When the squash is cooked and soft, scoop it (with the roasted garlic), into the saucepan. Bring to the boil then simmer gently for 10 minutes or so to blend the flavours.
·         Put through a blender or blitz with a hand blender until smooth. If you don’t have electronic equipment, just mash the ingredients well.
·         Correct the seasoning to taste and serve.
·         Garnish with chopped coriander and a dollop of crème fraishe
·         Serve with hot crusty brown or white bread.
Roasted Butternut Squash with Roasted Potatoes – this recipe came from Philip Drew, but I can’t find his original so this is my take on his idea

1 – 2 medium onions - red onions for preference – peeled and cut into chunks
½ kilo suitable roasting potatoes – washed, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 medium butternut squash – sliced, peeled and deseeded then cut into chunks
1 garlic bulb – separate the cloves and skin them
A good dollop of top quality olive oil
A good sprinkle of sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Some sprigs of rosemary
Method
·         Prepare the vegetables.
·         Heat the oil in a roasting pan until hot - 200ºC, No 6 gas
·         Toss the prepared squash, onions and potatoes in the hot oil.
·         Add the seasoning, herbs and garlic and return to the oven.
·         Cook for a further 30-40 minutes until the vegetables are golden brown and crunchy ( this will depend on the size you have cut them.
·         Serve immediately with any roast meat or with a nut roast.
Note – an excellent choice for Christmas dinner

Squash and  Chicken Breast Parcels
This is a low fat main dish par excellence, but very, very tasty and satisfying.
Per person you will need:
1 chicken breast – without skin – left whole
3 slices of butternut squash (1cm thick - ½inch) skinned and sliced – OR - use the flesh from a range of squashes or pumpkins instead with excellent results
1 piece of fruit – a pear, apple or peach / nectarine – washed and sliced – leave the skin on.
3 – 4 medium mushrooms – wiped and sliced
3 – 4 mini tomatoes or one regular sliced
Herbs – be generous (my choice is for a mixture of lemon thyme, tarragon and marjoram with parsley, but do use you own favourites)
Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
A knob of butter – if you must!
Method
·         You will need a sheet of tinfoil or greaseproof paper for each portion. Spread it out and add the prepared ingredients – it really doesn’t matter what order you add them to the pile.
·         Season well and add your chosen herbs.
·         Close the parcel and put in an oven proof dish.
·         Bake in a preheated oven 180ºC,  No 5 gas for about an hour.
·         Remove from the ‘parcel’ onto the plate and serve with mashed or baked potatoes and green vegetables.
Note  This makes an excellent supper party dish wrapped in greaseproof paper where each guest has their own parcel.
·         The flavouring ingredients can be changed – spices and chillies, peppers, curry spices, a different range of fruit, grated lemon or orange rind, etc. You can put sliced or tiny potatoes into the parcel. They will take longer to cook and will absorb the juices from the ingredients making a drier dish but, the upside is that the whole dish is cooked together.


2 comments:

  1. Any chance of a pic of the Squash and Chicken Breast Parcels? Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. will do, I will make some today, take a couple of photos and put them onto the post.
    I guess It better make it look tidy !

    ReplyDelete