Pages

Sunday 25 September 2011

Preparing for winter 1

Preparing for a harsh winter 2011
Well, it may seem silly thinking about winter now and considering what we must do to prepare for it. Of course the weather forecasts – (I won’t say ‘long range’ as the hard weather is being forecast for as early as next month and that is only a week away), may well be a load of rubbish. What happened to the ‘barbeque summer’ we were forecast for summer 2011 and, when I think about it, for 2010?
None-the-less, it doesn’t do any harm to be prepared. If the winter coming is even close to last winter, then we can take some steps to avoid the worst of the damage.
It isn’t snow which can affect us worst. In fact, snow can act as a blanket for many plants, protecting them from the harshest of the weather. It is the deep frost. This affects the more tender plants like globe artichokes, seasonal vegetables like brassicas and any potted plants as the frost will penetrate right through the compost and kill the roots. Last year I lost all of my rosemary plants as they were all in large pots. When I looked to replace them, garden centres had suffered similar losses. This year I will move some of my potted plants into my poly tunnel and will fleece others.
The advice on protecting globe artichokes is to cut them back and cover with a blanket of straw. So far I have resisted doing this as I find it painful to cut back strong fresh growth but, last winter I lost 50% of my strong, established artichoke bed and neighbours complained of 100% loss.
One of the main problems last winter was the inability to prepare the ground for the following spring. I am no longer able to dig half an allotment in a day. I have to pace myself and there is a lot of ground to cover. This year, as I lift crops, such as potatoes, beans and carrots, I am digging the ground ready for the winter frost to do its job of breaking down the soil. Yes, at this time of year, a few more weeds will still grow but, the basic job will have been done and will make it all the easier in the spring. And, the birds love it!
Talking about birds, when I returned from my holidays, I found a small bird of prey – I think a sparrow hawk – dead on my plot. I hope it was nothing that I had done which resulted in its demise. I am trying to replace all my netting with stronger and less-destructive-for-birds netting which, although more expensive, will be kinder. I avoid using slug pellets, except on seed beds and try to use only sprays which are organic. I have three feeding stations on my plot for birds which I replenish each time I visit. In spite of this I feel guilty that this bird had died, in case it is something that I might have done.
 I will sow autumn broad beans, as I find that overwintered beans provide an earlier and more robust crop than spring sown ones. They are also less prone to damage from blackfly. My beans did survive last year’s harsh winter but were not brilliant. Keeping this in mind, should we have another poor winter I will consider spring sown beans and treat them accordingly.
My Runner-beans and French-beans have now finished producing. Any pods still lingering are much too tough and stringy for eating though, of course, they are very suitable for saving for seed. Do remember that beans are promiscuous and the seed you collect may not be true to the parent plant.
When you are removing the frames, cut the bean plants off at the surface of the ground, leaving the roots as these fix nitrogen in the soil (it has been suggested that planting beans in the same area each year is beneficial as the nutrients needed for future generations are fixed in the soil. If I wasn’t pushed for rotation for other crops I would consider this.
Make sure the bamboo poles are stored upright out of any prolonged wet conditions. Leaving them on the ground will ensure they rot and they will be useless next year. They are an expensive resource so, one to look after.
I think I have had most of my seed catalogues this autumn. Sadly, only my favourites – Dobies and the Realseed Catalogue are still missing. I do love planning for next year. There are several days of pleasurable activity in  this.
In the last week I have been writing letters to plot holders who have not been cultivating their plots. This is good news for potential members who have been waiting for two years or more. Starting with a new plot is definitely an issue worth approaching again.

No comments:

Post a Comment