Pages

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Planting Early Potatoes

Planting Potatoes
Well!  Here we go again.  Yet another Blog about planting potatoes. But they are so important – well, for me anyway. Not everyone thinks they are an important crop. As I have said in a previous Blog, I think the difference between homegrown and shop bought is more striking in potatoes than any other vegetable. But, that’s my opinion.
The potatoes I planted in my polytunnel a couple of weeks ago have already put their shoots up. I’ve earthed them up as I am worried about the really cold nights we are having now, minus 4° here in Bristol. Gee! I know this is not cold by many standards. However, it can be damaging to my early plantings.
Although it is really cold at night now, it is also really sunny and ‘warm’ during the day and is absolutely delightful to have work to do on the plot. I am catching up on digging areas I had previously dug in the autumn. Although it is still very wet a spade deep, the ground is drying out quite nicely and breaks up well on the spring digging. This is the first time I am planting my potato seed into fairly well tilled, friable earth. Up to now I have been using them to help ‘till’ really heavy, solid, clay ground. And yes, they have been very productive, in spite of the poor conditions. This year I will hope for bumper crops of excellent potatoes. Of course, as Robbie Burns said – ‘The best laid schemes o’ mice and men gang aft aglay’, Please forgive me if I’ve got some of that wrong, I’m writing from memory.
My neighbour on the allotments was planting his early potatoes yesterday, when I was sowing parsnips and spring onions (the latter in a covered raised bed.) I always watch what my neighbour and his wife are doing. They are very experienced in our area and with our soil and, although not always successful in all crops, they are definitely ‘the business’.  He was planting in such beautifully tilled soil I looked at it enviously – like something from a BBC gardening programme. Mine will never, ever be like that. For me good enough has to be good enough.
Anyway, I did go home and collect my chitted early potatoes (Accent). I had enough for two ridges, which I could cover with one length of fleece ( highly recommended!). It was only when I had them planted that I realised that some of the potatoes were, in fact, Charlottes (salad potatoes – 2nd early) Oh well! They’re in now.
A couple of days ago I sowed carrot seed in a raised bed under a poly cover. The accepted view on carrot root fly is that they won’t fly above 30cm. Believe me, this is not the case. Last year I had carrots growing in a box 1mtr above ground, and I covered it with fleece. The root fly still got into one of the varieties I had sown there. This year, my daughter and I (she has an allotment in London) are experimenting with varieties which the carrot root fly are not attracted to. Perhaps we need to plant the attractive ones alongside but, we’ll get back to you on this.
I was amazed to note that several of my asparagus crowns have already put out their new shoots, not only the older, more established crowns but also, last year’s new planting of one year old crowns. I thought it a bit too early so, I’ve earthed them up a bit.
Please get back to me on any thoughts/arguments you may have. I would love to have your comments.

1 comment:

  1. Having only just lifted the last of my 2010 carrots (oops probably should have lifted them by now), I would love to add to the comments on carrot root fly. I sowed 'rainbow mix' last year as I love the different colours and flavours that you get. When I lifted the last of them 2 weeks ago I expected to dig up what was left after the carrot root flies had had their fill (not a pleasant sight as I am sure you all know). This was the case of the purple variety (cosmic purple) but the yellow variety were not only huge but almost untouched(one carrot has one rusty line through the top) - variety solar yellow. I couldn't believe it. Brilliant - didnt even know carrots would over winter.

    ReplyDelete